La lecture en ligne est gratuite
Le téléchargement nécessite un accès à la bibliothèque YouScribe
Tout savoir sur nos offres
Télécharger Lire

Cisco, Illinois, 1874-1974

De
176 pages
1874CISCOILLINOIS1974"rrrsTssfsmmmmimmtRS/iRnCISCO^^^H IIliii:-.^-a^^s:Bird's-eye view of Cisco, looking: east.PREFACEseen and their hands haveGreat are the changes that generations havethat our ancestorsbringing about. We are heir to the yesterdaysaided inis hoped for tomorrow.indebted to them for today and for whatdeveloped, and1874-1974,book is an attempt to give an insight into CiscoThis Centennial1874. A book of this type involves the cooperation,though it really began beforeof many people. It is not easy to try toenthusiasm, support and suggestionsomitted and many are unknownrecord history for many facts and ideas must beremembered in various ways.or arereminder of the pastof this book, hope that it serves as aWe, the preparersanotherinstilling the desire to look forward totelling how the people lived, whilebelievethe future cannot be told. Wecentury for the Cisco community, thoughwhich would soon be lost to the ages. Weit will help preserve "happenings"thatfor any omission or untruth.our gratitude to everyone and apologizeexpressRoot for herlike to express a special "Thank you" to VeraWe wouldmany hours of research.informative material and«^iiiti5L..^-iS^fc2ec--rMarquis.Over Cisco" by Clementine"CloudsIM' H^.n^terial in the skirt. The waist was short and sleeveswere large and tapered. Many ribbons and bows wereworn, but little jewelry. The men wore light colored"jeans" and lindsey woolsey hunting shirts.Cisco started as a farming ...
Voir plus Voir moins

Vous aimerez aussi

1874 CISCO ILLINOIS 1974"rrrsTssfsmmmmi mmtRS/iRn CISCO ^^^H II li ii:-.^ -a^^s: Bird's-eye view of Cisco, looking: east. PREFACE seen and their hands haveGreat are the changes that generations have that our ancestorsbringing about. We are heir to the yesterdaysaided in is hoped for tomorrow.indebted to them for today and for whatdeveloped, and 1874-1974,book is an attempt to give an insight into CiscoThis Centennial 1874. A book of this type involves the cooperation,though it really began before of many people. It is not easy to try toenthusiasm, support and suggestions omitted and many are unknownrecord history for many facts and ideas must be remembered in various ways.or are reminder of the pastof this book, hope that it serves as aWe, the preparers anotherinstilling the desire to look forward totelling how the people lived, while believethe future cannot be told. Wecentury for the Cisco community, though which would soon be lost to the ages. Weit will help preserve "happenings"that for any omission or untruth.our gratitude to everyone and apologizeexpress Root for herlike to express a special "Thank you" to VeraWe would many hours of research.informative material and «^ iiiti5L..^-iS^fc2ec--r Marquis.Over Cisco" by Clementine"Clouds IM' H^. n^terial in the skirt. The waist was short and sleeves were large and tapered. Many ribbons and bows were worn, but little jewelry. The men wore light colored "jeans" and lindsey woolsey hunting shirts.Cisco started as a farming community and remains as one today, for most of the businesses are farm Wild meat was plentiful, and small patches of related. Many of the townspeople commute to other Indian corn were raised and a meal ground to make work Decatur or Monticello. Thisin story of Cisco a coarse but wholesome bread. Johnny cakes and pones has tried to reach back through the past 100 years were served for dinner while mush and milk was a to learn more of our town's history and the events favorite supper. The garden furnished roasting ears, that have shaped it as it is today. pumpkins, beans, sijuash and potatoes. Coffee and tea were used sparingly while maple sugar was muchThe first white people to arrive in Piatt County used and honey was only 5c a lb. Butter and eggs werefound Indians, not dangerous ones, but friendly Dela- cheap, chickens were numbersand seen in greatware, Kickapoo and Potawattamie tribes. Arrow- around the cabin.heads and other Indian artifacts have been found throughout the area. On some of the farms are indica- wallows, "Thetions of buffalo as well as areas called Dead Sea." Few white people had been in this area before Illinois became a state in 1818, as they had been settling in the southern part first. Settlers began moving into the northern section in 1825. In 1838, Edward Ater came to the area which is now Willow Branch Township to complete a land pur- chase made by his father, Thomas Ater. Among those he found here were Emanuel Clover, Michael Dillow, Thomas Henderson, John Moore, William Piatt, James Reber, John Mr. Shuman, John West Wash-Sea, and ington Zinn. Soon Samuel Havely and the Arms- worths came. When Ed Ater arrived, he went to the Clover home to night's lodging, they wereget a but all ill with the Ague. He went on to the Reber home, then the John West home, still encountering the Ague. He continued to the James Piatt cabin in Monticello, where the family graciously opened their home to the Feeding thr ihickin-. in 1909. stranger, although Mr. Piatt was in his last illness Croniger came from Ohiowith typhoid fever. Peter The amusements of that day were quite athletic. in 1839, making the trip in nine days. He drove three Dancing was a favorite, along with foot racing, target horses to a wagon, accompanied by Isaac Faylor. jumping and wrestling. Quilting and spin-shooting, few months he had 130 acres of his landWithin a ning bees were favorite activities of the women and "under fence," using oak rails, had dug a well and girls, as well as being practical. built a house. For many years the settlers made no effort to The early settlers made their homes along streams, cultivate the prairie, because they thought it was not prairies because they believed themshunning the fertile, since it did not grow trees. The prairie grew unfit for farming, and Willow Branch is prairie. The weregrass, often taller than a man's head, and there barns.settlers needed timber for their homes, fuel and prairie fires. Mr. P. C. Young came to Willow Branch easiest way was the trees for a clearing,The to cut Township in 1863 as a four year old. As a child he build their cabin and use the surrounding cleared area site Cisco. When heused to herd cattle on the of for crops. was a grown man he built a log cabin on the prairie Barnhart home.across the road from the present BudA settler brought with him an ax and rifle. With of log cabins, prairie fires were greatlyIn those days his cabin, usuallythe help of his neighbors he built feared for the home would burn readily and fire 14 16 foot square and without glass, nails, hinges,to horse couldspread through the grasses faster than a and locks. A fireplace was built in one end, and pelts run. The soil around the cabin was plowed to protect left out along one side andlined the ceiling. A log was it. Men working in the fields would set fires to burn sheets of strong paper, well greased with coon-grease themselves and their horses, if a fireoff an area for or bear-grease were tacked in place, to serve as occurred. They would place themselves and the horses was his own carpenter, and somewindows. Everyone for safety.inside the burned off area used considerable ingenuity in the construction of tools, utensils and furniture. could see their farm landIf the early settlers they would probably pop for there havetoday, eyesofHorse collars were often made of braided husk been so many changes. Their early attempts at farm- neckcorn sewed together. They were easy on the under extreme hardship, clearing theing were made of the horse and would last long while.a forest areas, which meant cultivating around the Women made nearly all the clothing worn by the stumps and on the slopes. As time went along they stumps, which could befamily and every home had a card-loom and a spinning would try to remove the widths of dangerous. In the early 1900's James Hendrix lost hiswheel. Dresses were made plain with four binders in the Cisco area.First camedone by shucking time, and each fall a number of fellowssight blasting stumps. Their plowing was Illinois Kentucky, to help with theshocked, being husked as from southern andhand. The corn was cut and were paid by the bushel, and given roomby hand or small hand mill. Wheat work. Theyneeded and shelled There wasshocks and and board while they were shucking corn.and oats were cut with a scythe, stacked in who would pick the most bushels afor grinding was competition as tothreshed by a flail. To go to a mill the fellows. This led to shucking contests.Decatur or Danville. To market the day amonga long trip to giving wayhorse Now we find the mechanical corn pickergrain was a similar trip or one to Chicago by sheller, man gave way to the pickerto the combine asand wagon. horse gave way to the tractor.or the his land if heThe pioneer farmer had to drain use the prairie, for it was a swamp in thewas to of the wheat and oatsInstead of the threshing rainy season. Some one invented a molelike contrap- flail, the grains began to be cut and bound by aby a went ahead of thetion with a cutting blade that poweredbinder, shocked; and threshed by steam mole which when pulled through the ground made community was divided intothreshing machines. The weresmooth packed runways for water. Thus they rings with the gang following from farm to making good farm land.able to drain the prairies, wivesfarm. The farmers worked in the field, their These lasted for years. In the 1880's tile was manu- kids had fun. A lavishworked in the kitchen, and the factured and put in for drainage. Drainage ditches meal was served at noon, so the saying that someone are used to help carry the water. The washad "cooked enough for threshers." straw used for bedding and feed.made into a stack andwith new implements,Changes in farming came Sometimes it was baled. The hay was done in this though corn was still husked by hand until the 1930's. oatsmanner or put in the mow loose. Now wheat andmakingFarm wagons were fitted with "bump boards" are combined. to the height, keeping the corn froman extension going over the wagon, when the walking husker pulled it wasPiatt County was formed in 1841, because threwthe ears of corn from the husk and stalk, and too far to go to the county seat in Decatur. It had them into the wagon. The horses pulling the wagons Branch wasbeen a part of Macon County. Willowwalked along as though they knew their job. Until the known as Liberty Precinct until the townships werehusker scoop thecorn dump was invented, the had to organized in 1860. The first supervisor was Elias Hall.corn into the crib. Extra helj) was usually needed at Hauling com Plowing corn in 1912 on the Will Davis farm.Unloading Swarts and Preston Reed with a load of hay.David Old engine at threshing time. ^tmst f'^ w^^ttmif^i 9 Olson, Ernest Wikowsky,Thresher and crew: Charles and ."Sebe" Sebens, Ernest Richardsonshocking wheat at McKinneys.Horse drawn binder and But<-hering day at Harve Koyse's in 19U: Mary Ellen Boyse, Mary Stillabower, Josie Olson, Jess Stillabower, Oscar Olson, John William Bruns,Royse, Harve Royse and John Goken. — —April 1913 ready for market average 1270 lbs. and brought $8.48/100 wt. and teams.Stanley MackeyMule team at John Royse's in 1917. The name of Willow Branch was derived from the President Clarks stating that because the I.C. was fact that early settlers settled near the tributary losing business to this line that the "Pea Nut Line" Rivercalled "The Branch," and forded the Sangamon was "the most desirable piece of railroad for us to near a large Willow Tree. All were in the same area. acquire in the Corn belt." The I.C. finally got control This ford is where the Hog Chute Bridge is located. in January 1887. Men who worked on this branch called it the "Hack Line." Other names for the line Other landmarks are Wolf Run and Wild Cat were "Puddle Jumper" and "Old Barney." The name Creek, both tributaries to the north, Stringtownand from Illinois,"was derived "Barney Maloy from Cisco, Lane to the north of the township. an employee of the railroad. In 1860 before Cisco became a town there was one It was April 24, 1874 that the station Cisco was house on the present town site. It was built by Dr. S. platted. Four men owned the land that cornered up V. Purdy. to the center of the town. They got C. D. Moore, the Piatt County Surveyor, to plat the village of Ciscomost towns, Cisco grew where it did be-As with February 7 1874. These landownerson 4, 5, 6, and ofcause of a railroad. The Monticello Railroad was incor- were Hiram Dodge who owned 640 acres to tthe north-War. The warporated in 1861 just prior to the Civil west of the center, E. F. Dallas, who owned 80 acresmost construction for the duration. In 1867curtailed extending north a half mile from the center of Cisco,the company secured deeds to the right of way. By Thomas Watson, who owned the 80 acres extending apermitted Townships without a railroad1869 the law Abraham Runklemile east from the town's center, andto vote bonds and assist in building one. The Monti- who owned 40 acres to the southwest. cello Company planned to build a railroad from Cham- paign through Monticello to Decatur, there to join with Recorded in the Piatt County Courthouse at Mon- the Decatur and East St. Louis Line to be completed ticello, Illinois is the original plat of Cisco. Also had beenshortly. However, five years later no track there in beautiful script is the following:recorded laid. A contract was let in March of 1871 but there "Know all these men by these presnt, thatwas difficulty in raising the money. By 1872 this finished the road from Champaign to Monti- we, Hiram Dodge of Watseka, Illinois, E. F.company Runklecello. The line from White Heath to Havanna and the Dallas, Thomas Watson and Abraham of Mason Lincoln and Piatt County, Illinois have authorized the lay-in 1873 by the Havanna, City, Eastern. For the next several years the road led a ing out of the Town of Cisco as described on certified the Surveyor ofprecarious existence. It first became a part of the the annexed plat, by Indianapolis, Bloomington and Western and the orig- Piatt County, Illinois, and we do hereby re- publicinal plat of Cisco so labels the railroad as the LB. & linquish and donate to the use of the the streets and alieys in said Town, as in said plotW.R.R. (In 1973 it is the New York Central.) Some of the men who worked on the railroad as it went through specified. In testimony whereof we have set April, A.D.Cisco boarded with Mrs. Patsy Reardon, mother-in- our hands and seals this 24th day of 1874.law of John Jeffords, the harness maker. Hiram Dodge (seal) Erastus F. Dallas (seal) Abraham Runkle Watson (seal)Thomas for said countyI. L. Bond, Notary Public in and and state. 1874."April A.D. Since these men had no seals they drew a rectangle of "e's" and wrote SEAL inside it. Cisco Depot and the Livery Stable. n It was in 1874 that the depot was built with E. F. Dallas the first ticket agent. a part of the Wabash, St.Later the line became Louis and Pacific and in 1886 when the latter was anfalling apart the Illinois Central entered into with Harriman, who was picking up theagreement ' "^ rrlm n,rrpieces at bargain prices. They were looking forward - uJ rri f-1 pjj, the "Pea Nut Line", so named James C.to getting by Clarks, president of the Illinois Central. Jeffrey, gen- eral manager of the Illinois Central had written to Orig:inaI Plat of Cisco plat the surveyor indicated the exact loca-On the where he had stones placed for future measuring.tions One should notice that the town was named before are sev-the foregoing agreement was signed. There the town its name but Mrs.eral stories as to how got Prudie Huffmaster told Vera Root repeatedly that for theher father always said the town was named Dallas. She was Franciscomother of Erastus F. Dallas, a highly respected woman who always helped of need. Theothers in the community in their hour used for the town name.last of her given name was Another story has it that it was suggested by one railroad. Heof the men doing the surveying for the in Nevada for the Unionhad surveyed for a town Pacific that name. You may have heard the storyby that Cisco in Spanish means "copper" but persons never heard of that.who know Spanish say they 1874 there wereAt the time Cisco was platted in Train Time site.50 persons living on the E. F. Dallas. The next Sam Berkler, Don Stewart, and Barney GiffinThe first station agent was were station Mrs.Moffett, and since she was a agents. Greenfield served both Ciscoagent was Nannie and Argenta for a time. Dale Rigginsmen of the village would gather to help unload began here inwoman, Davenport came 1963. He served from 12 to 14 stations using his truckfreight when a train came in. Gabe from.McGinnis operated a dray to work His reporting headquarters wasnext and about this time Lee Decatur.haul freight to business houses. When theservice to after hardstreets were muddy in the early spring or a frozen ruts inrain, or when the roads had deep tram had a hard time hauling thewinter, Lee's earlyfreight. King Pattengale came to Cisco in the Village Government and thefor several years.1900's and he served in this capacity Town Hall thatAt that time there were four trains a day passengers. The arrival of a train waswould carry A copy of the Municipal Code of the Village of always attraction and townsfolk went to see who Cisco revised adopted on 1906an that was and June 4, came to town and who left town. tells us of the village officials and ordinances at that time. The officials were : President, six members of In 1902 the train schedule read as follows: Clerk, Treasurer, Marshal ofthe Board of Trustees, Trains Pass Cisco Streets, and Police Magistrate. Other chapters set going East 8:00 o'clock a.m.No. 726 forth the ordinances on village limits; inspection of No. 725 West 9:45 a.m. department the corporateflues and chimneys ; health ; No. 722 going East 4:07 o'clock p.m. (the corporate seal of Cisco is circular and saysseal • West 9:45 p.m.No. 703 111."on the outside, "Village of Cisco, Piatt County, fireOperator was Across the middle it says, "Corporate Seal.") ;In 1911 the Cisco Telegrapher and sidewalks; finances; streets andmonth. The fare between Cisco and limits; concretepaid $55.00 a alleys; sidewalks and public grounds; railroads;Clinton, if you went first class, was $1.20 one way. of finesAs licenses; nuisances; misdemeanors; recoveryIf you went by coach a one way fare was 80c. was adopted Levithere were fewer pas- and penaties. At the time this codeautos became more prevalent Weddle was the Village President and Arburthnotand passenger service through Cisco was A.sengers so publishedHugh Lyons was Clerk. The booklet wasdiscontinued in 1939. When the Service was in opera- Printing Companybought his ticket at the August 25, 1906 by the Republicantion in the earliest days one Monticello. Ruby Leach's older sister recalls thatpaid his fare after boarding the ofstation but later wrote a copy of the ordinances in a new ledgertrain. Train fare between Monticello and Cisco one she way for Bert Lyons when she was in school.way was 25c first class and 20c by coach. One Argenta were 20c first classfares between Cisco and Illinois His-In the Historical Encyclopedia of and and 15c by coach. Shonkwiler says that intory of Piatt County, Francis 1899, Jason Simer was President of the Board, KingThe stations on the railroad branch between White Pattengill was Clerk, S. L. Grove was CommissionerHeath and Decatur were Monticello, Amenia, Cisco, Justice of the Peace,of Highways, A. L. Lyons wasArgenta, Oreana, and Green Switch. Edward Salsbury was Constable. Those who hadand In the year 1943 the Cisco Station Operator was served on the County Board to represent Willow paid 43c an hour. As freight was hauled more and David Moyer,Branch Township were Peter Croninger, more frequently by truck the job as station agent F. Stevenson, Thomas Ater, Thomas Mintun,W. became a part time one. Small parcels were no longer James Ownby, F. H. McCartney, E. L. Croninger, handled after April 15, 1963 and only carload lots F. S. Weilepp, W. W. Parish, Chas. Baker, George W. were carried. Parr.Widick, and Charles T.
Un pour Un
Permettre à tous d'accéder à la lecture
Pour chaque accès à la bibliothèque, YouScribe donne un accès à une personne dans le besoin